Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Bohara shellfish

As mentioned earlier, ‘bohara’ is my favourite type of shellfish. It’s small and not as chewy as some of the others. I don’t know what it’s called in English. Rebekah did some research a while ago and thought that they might be a type of ‘cone snail’, so maybe that’s what they are. Most cone snails are fatally poisonous if they sting you, and some aren’t fatal, but they still hurt. However ‘bohara’ do not sting or ‘bite’ or hurt us in any way, so in that way, they don’t quite fit into the description of ‘cone snail’. They do look like the pictures of cone snails on the internet though.

Anyway, to answer your question of ‘what is bohara?’ – here are some photos.

Bohara with shellfish still inside it:

Clean bohara shell:

Empty bohara shell:

Cooked bohara shellfish (quite close up):


1 comment:

Nerida said...

Pretty shell, but I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat what's inside!