Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shellfish

I’ve been wanting to go looking for my favourite type of shellfish since I arrived back in Bougainville (it’s called ‘bohara’ in Teop, and I’ll write a blog post about it in a few weeks). One day two ladies from the next village were passing through on their way to collect shellfish, and I was able to tag along with them .

We wandered in the shallows looking for shellfish in the water. I wasn’t very good at finding them – I only found one, and a big one at that, so probably the easiest kind to find. Here’s a picture of the kind of shell I found:

Fortunately my friends were generous and shared their shells with me (including some bohara!), so I returned to the village with this basket of shells:

We cooked them up and had them for dinner. These two photos show the cooked shellfish, removed from their shells, before we mixed them with vegies and noodles.


No comments: