Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Minor differences


I’ve been thinking recently about a few of the minor things that will be different when I go back to Bougainville, and things that I’ll need to try and remember. Here are some below:

Grass seeds: Firstly, try to remember to pay attention to the length of the grass, so that I don’t walk through it and get seeds all through my skirt. Failing that, I will have the leisurely activity of picking grass seeds out of my skirt. It’s a great slow pace of life activity.

Head torch: I need to remember that if I have my torch switched on, try not to look at people, as wherever my head turns, there the torch shines also, and people don’t appreciated being blinded by the light. I have a terrible habit of doing that!

Leg cramps: Quite often in the morning I get cramps in my calves just as I am waking up in the village. It’s rather annoying. I don’t know why it happens, but maybe my body gets dehydrated during the night which might trigger it.

Exact change: I’ve been used to paying for things however I like here in Australia, using my bank card, or just handing over a note. In Buka however, it’s best to pay with the exact change, because there’s always a shortage of change in the register at the shops, or at the market the sellers often don’t have enough change either. Of course, when you pay the exact amount for a lot of things, you end up running out of change yourself!

Sunscreen: I don’t like putting sunscreen on, but if I know I’m going to be out in the sun for a while, I’d better put it on.

Crabs: Sometimes when you’re sitting at the beach, you see these tiny crabs scurrying along the sand. It’s not hugely fascinating or exciting or anything, but your eye just takes it in, and I remembered about it today when I saw a crab on TV.

No comments: