Saturday, August 1, 2009

Volcanoes and Kokopo

(Pictured above are the volcanoes at Rabaul, which are still active).
 
Kokopo is the new town built after Rabaul was buried in ash in 1994, although I believe there are some businesses operating in Rabaul again. I stayed in Kokopo for 3 nights on my way to Buka. I really only had two whole days there, and on those days I visited town and did some shopping (where I was staying was a little bit out of town).
 
The food shops in Kokopo were brilliant. The best I've seen in PNG so far. They had a lot of products on the shelves that we can buy in Australia, for example, Kantong brand sauce packets. They had everything I could possibly want to buy for cooking with.
 
I also went to the second hand clothes store and bought more clothes for me to wear while I am at Buka. I realised that I didn't really have very much with me. I am really happy with the two skirts I got and I think I will be keeping them for a while.

No comments: