Monday, February 9, 2009

Victorian bushfires

I have been following the news online and I have been touched by the massive bushfire tragedy in Victoria, especially in the Kinglake and Marysville areas. These places are about 45 minutes to 1.5 hours drive from home respectively, they are like our backyard. Close enough for me to consider as a part of my extended local world.

It is hard to get my mind around the fact that these townships have been virtually wiped out. I feel the most for all those who have lost loved ones in the fires. It is awful when someone you know dies suddenly like that.

People have also lost their houses and everything they own in the fires and it is just amazing to read about the community spirit, how everyone comes together to support them, by giving money and material gifts to the victims.

Well, what else can I say? It is such a huge tragedy and I am lost for words. But I am really feeling for all those involved or affected in some way.

1 comment:

tAaOS said...

Your blog is a welcome find since your geographical area is important to my wife and myself. We lived at KG back in the mid-1980s (at Wycliffe) and are concerned to hear of the fires blazing in the surrounding areas. Thanks for posting info in your blog. Your efforts in Bible translation will be remembered in our prayers.