Saturday, January 17, 2009

My malaria story continues

Well, I thought that was the end of the malaria when I typed that last blog post (if you haven’t read it yet, read it before this one) and that I was going to be fine after that. I was wrong! At about 6pm on Thursday I had a fever, I felt freezing, even after I ate my soup for dinner and I was wearing a jacket. I contacted a family who are from one of my sending churches, and they took me over to their house to look after me.

My chills went away and then I had a hot fever. At one stage my temperature was 39.5. This fever was worse than any of the previous ones and I was even taking short, rapid breaths. It was pretty awful. We had The Sound of Music on as per my request, but I was really suffering quite a bit with this fever. Eventually it eased off and I went to bed and slept well.

On Friday I felt better, but really weak. I watched a movie in the morning, then I crashed on my bed for a little while, but I didn’t sleep and I felt nauseous when I was lying down. I spent most of the day resting as I felt weak and not up to much. However at night we were having a party at the Guest House, so I had to go there to open it up. I stayed there for a little while, but I just felt too weak and tired, ready for bed, so I rang the family to come and pick me up, and I gave someone a key to lock up. I stayed with them again just in case I had another cycle of fevers, but fortunately I didn’t get a fever, so it seems that the tablets are starting to work and the malaria cycle has broken. Anyway, I went to bed and I got a migraine, but it wasn’t too bad, I didn’t end up vomiting with it. When I got to sleep, I slept well.

Now today, Saturday, I am still feeling very weak and tired and sometimes emotional too. I am not really up to walking around anywhere or doing much. I am just feeling really weak physically. I am okay when I am sitting or lying down though. I’m planning on taking my laptop to my room soon and watching The Sound of Music again. At least this time I’ll be able to enjoy it a bit more!

No comments: