Monday, December 8, 2008

The 'Solar'

We had mobile phone reception in the village, so I took my mobile phone with me. I realised that I wouldn’t have electricity to charge it, so I took a solar charger, which we simply referred to as ‘the solar’. It is funny to think that you can be in a village and have mobile phone reception but no electricity!

The solar went out in the sun every day. In the morning it was on a table near the path that goes past the village, then we moved it closer to the house in the afternoon and often put it on the roof of our family’s kitchen house.

The people were always very concerned about it. They were worried about it getting stolen when it was near the path, and then it started to rain and we mentioned that it was still outside, they would panic and run quickly to get it and bring it inside!

People also saw my ‘solar’ as a good way of charging their own phones for free. I didn’t mind doing that, but it was just so hard to get enough charge in the solar to keep my phone charged, never mind charging anyone else’s, so I was only able to help them out a couple of times. If they went to the local Health Centre, which has a generator, they could pay two kina to charge their phones. I didn’t have my normal charger in the village, so I couldn’t use that anyway.

Here’s my solar charging in the sun:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I just can't get my head around the thought of the National folk in a village situation having mobile phones - still everyone in the world seems to find it a necessity so why not up in PNG?

love from Bev and John

michael york said...

I Just wanted to add that Gotreception.com (http://www.gotreception.com) is a great resource for finding out where reception problems are most likely to occur.