Monday, September 22, 2008

Bread and cheese

Last Friday we learnt how to bake bread from scratch. I baked a large loaf and a small loaf and added my personal touches to them (see picture below)! I’m all for simplicity and it seems too much like hard work for me to go to the effort of baking bread in the village, so I’m happy to live without it.

On the other hand, I can’t live without cheese! How do you have cheese in a village where there is no electricity or fridges?...Well, there is this wonderful invention we call ‘boxed cheese’ which doesn’t need to be refrigerated. It is not real cheese though – it is processed cheese and it comes wrapped in foil and in a cardboard box. However it is REALLY expensive! It is about $4 for 250g of cheese.

In fact most Western food is expensive, so you have to make decisions about what you are willing to give up and what you can’t live without. I’m won’t be over-indulging in cheese, that’s for sure! I’ll be making it last as long as I can.

This is the small loaf that I made in our bread baking class. It has the ‘Julie’ touch to it!

2 comments:

Nerida said...

Your loaf of bread looks very yummy ... although almost too cute to eat!

Robyn said...

Well I would give up the cheese and not the bread. Your bread looks extra yummy!